Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Handling Adversity

You put too much weight on the bar to start with, you didn't beat your time on the same wod from 2 months ago, you didn't set a pr on your favorite lift, mentally you just didn't perform well in that wod. These things happen to us all and it's perfectly natural to beat yourself up when it does because you have such high standards for yourself - I know I do.

For me these are the moments where you grow as a crossfitter & perhaps more so than when you totally excel at a wod or set a new pr. You take a look at what happened, analyze, assess, & inevitably try to make excuses for your less than stellar performance. It's important to take a step back and ask yourself "Did I try my best? Give 100% today? Did I quit at any point?" & if the answer is yes to the first 2 questions & no to the 3rd then you have nothing to be ashamed of because what else can you get out of yourself? Some days you just don't have the spring in your quads or the power in your shoulders. Maybe you slept 5 hours vs 8 the last time you did the wod, or your diet wasn't as on point, who knows.

The main sticking point is don't put the unnecessary pressure on yourself of ALWAYS having to set prs when you do a wod over (I know I still do so it's WAY easier said than done but just go with me here), but do make sure that you give a full effort every time out and because of the nature of crossfit, if you're consistent with it, you shouldn't plateau and prs will come over & over again. Take adversity & hit it in the mouth hard next time it knocks you down...


Wednesday – 27th
For total reps:
4 min – HSPU - 31 REPS (15 STRAIGHT TO START. GOT 31 REPS A FEW WEEKS AGO WHEN I HAD 5 MINS AMRAP HSPUs SO TO GET THE SAME AMOUNT IN 20% LESS TIME IS PROGRESS

4 min – Ring Dips - 56 REPS. MOSTLY DID SETS OF 3 REPS AT A TIME

4 min – Clap Push-ups - 32 REPS. DONE MOSTLY IN SETS OF 2

4 min – Push-up Burpees - 60 REPS. GOT 30 REPS IN EACH HALF SO CAN'T COMPLAIN. AND SURPRISINGLY NO CHEST BURN AFTERWARDS.

179 reps total

Fun wod today and not as bad as I thought it would be. definitely proud of my progress on my hspus


Tuesday - 26th

Back Squat, 3-3-2-2-1-1, 180 sec
Loads - 295# - 315# - 335#(x1 failed 2nd rep) - 325#(x2) - 345# - 355#. This rep scheme is tough for me as I usually make large jumps when I do heavy back squats and also usually rest more than 3 mins b/w sets so 355# took all I had. Until I reach twice body weight or 400# in this movement I won't feel totally competent in it. Still quite a ways off so just keep workin on it
+
1 set for AMRAP chin-ups – any style - Got 31 Chest to bar. Not a pr and with a 3 min rest from the last set of back squats this was all I had
+
AMRAP in 5 min:
Alternating Single Arm DB Squat Snatch – 40lb

Got 54 reps without stopping. Definitely slowed down and I lost my pace of 60 reps somewhere in the middle
+
10 sets to find your highest possible number of reps in one unbroken set for Double Unders

Got 101 reps in my 6th set for a pr! This was interesting as I had 5 sets under 50 (10 reps being the lowest) & 5 sets at 50 reps or more. I switched ropes a few times going from the speed rope to the thick black rope with the sponge handles and back to the speed

3 comments:

  1. i've had a totally crap few days ... reading this is helping turn it around. thanks, boss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like you are speaking directly to me here after yesterday's wod! Great points, Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also speaking to myself as it happened to me yesterday as well. Didn't hit the numbers I expected to on my back squat max but didn't let it get me down and lo and behold i set a pr for consecutive double unders later in the session. have a short term memory and you'll go far

    ReplyDelete